Making the most of your insurance cover when you travel
Take out your travel insurance policy within 48 hours of making your first payment towards your trip!
Get unspecified cancellation benefit up to R20 000 provided travellers are on a TIC leisure comprehensive or business policy issued within 48 hours of making your first payment towards your trip.
Coronavirus and your travel insurance policy
All TIC policy-holders are fully covered for emergency medical and related expenses should the traveller contract the coronavirus whilst on an international journey. The related expenses include medical transportation and medical repatriation, repatriation of children and/or travel companion and burial or cremation or return of mortal remains.
Your TIC policy does not provide cover for cancellation, curtailment or extension costs and expenses arising as a result from:
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) or any variant or mutation of such virus; and/or
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) or any variant or mutation of such disease; and/or
- Any epidemic, pandemic or health emergency declared or classified as such by the World Health Organization or any national, regional or local governmental authority; and/or
- Any fear or threat of 1, 2 or 3 above, whether actual or perceived.
TIC’s cancellation benefit, up to R50 000 (up to a maximum R120 000 if the traveller has increased the cancellation & curtailment cover) covers cancellation due to one of the following reasons only:
SECTION 4: INTERNATIONAL JOURNEY CANCELLATION, INTERNATIONAL JOURNEY CURTAILMENT, INTERNATIONAL JOURNEY EXTENSION, MISSED CONNECTION, REPLACEMENT AIRFARE, TRAVEL DELAY, WEATHER CONDITIONS, TRAVEL SUPPLIER INSOLVENCY and DENIED VISA
SECTION 4.1: INTERNATIONAL JOURNEY CANCELLATION
TIC will pay for or reimburse You the non-refundable portions of travel or accommodation arrangements, including a booked event, for which You are legally liable, if it is necessary for You to cancel Your International Journey prior to departure as a result of one of the following:
- Unforeseen, unexpected and sudden death, illness or injury of You, Your Travel Companion, Your Immediate Family, Business Associate, whether they are travelling with You or not, or the person with whom You intended to stay with abroad. Medical reasons for cancellation must not be relating to a Pre-Existing Medical Condition.
- Hijack, Riot, Strike or Civil Commotion causing direct cancellation and/or delayed departure of Your transport.
- Traumatic Event that occurs within 14 days of your departure.
- Retrenchment or redundancy.
- Accidental damage or burglary to Your main residence resulting in a loss in excess of R100 000, which loss shall be documented with supporting vouchers and proof satisfactory to Us, within 30 days prior to departure.
- Theft or loss of Your or Your Travel Companions travel documentation causing unavoidable cancellation.
- A Terrorist incident within 14 days of Your departure, in the same city noted on Your prepaid itinerary.
- The non-availability of the person that is in charge of Your minor or disabled children due to such person’s unexpected death, illness or injury within 30 days prior to the date of the insured journey.
If some other reason not listed above is the cause of the cancellation, then this would be looked at under the unspecified cancellation benefit up to R20 000 provided travellers are on a leisure comprehensive or business policy issued within 48 hours of making your first payment towards your trip. The benefit is limited as TIC allows additional reasons than listed above.
SECTION 4.1.2: UNSPECIFIED EVENTS
TIC will pay for or reimburse You the non-refundable portions of travel or accommodation arrangements, including a booked event, for which You are legally liable, for any other cause outside Your control that is not specified above in Section 4.1 or specifically insured anywhere else under Section 4 of Your policy, which requires You to cancel Your International Journey prior to departure. Your policy must be purchased within 48 hours of making the first payment, whether it is in part or in full, of Your travel bookings.
You must provide proof of payment when making a claim under this Section.
NB: Disinclination to travel is not covered on TIC policies (anxiety / concern/ apprehension about a specific destination and the traveller wanting to cancel will not be covered).